Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The Goal-Post mindset!

I was the first Pinegrove soccer player of the year,I later on became the top goalscorer in both club and school level. My passion for soccer had no equal. Experts predicted I was the next world's best.My athletic ability and dribbling techniques were a formidable force to the opponents. I would dribble the whole team and turn back from the goals without scoring. One day a friend of mine who played along side me, he was my best friend and we did everything together, showed me the light. I scored more goals than him but he was a better finisher. He shouted at me for being too playfull, he asked me a valid good question: "By dribbling everyone at the corner line what do you gain" From that day onwards I scored more goals because my focus changed from pleasing people to seeking the back of the net.

The mind of a striker is to score  goals. The different players work together for one determinable purpose, to see the ball behind the goal post. Many people live life like the driibler, they can impress you with five top-ten badges and distinctions but with all that, they have no sense of determinable outcome. They live as headless-chickens. Its important to have a goal-post mind! It enables you put in all your energy and measure at the end of the day whether it was worth it or not. Like me the crowds where impressed, the opponents were impressed but my team was suffering, instead of meeting the goal I was more concerned with the praises. I just read a post from a friend that says the country is in trouble because we have so many Job seekers, our Universities train us to get Jobs, as a result entrepreneurs who create Jobs are not there, so whats the point of producing so many dribblers who will be benched at the end of the day? I advise everyone to start setting goals for yourself and do something that will draw you nearer to the goal rather than waiting for something to sporadically happen. Make long term goals you want to achieve, my team wanted to win the league but it began with small term goals every week. Do the same, where do you want to be 5 years time? please dont say working for FNB because you can be the best ever at what you do but they determine whether they take you or not. I will give you a goal planner and you make goals which are in your control, starting a business is not easy but it will teach you how, you will get to own the ladder others are climbing.

Elijah's goal planner. (We look at the beginning from the end)

1. What do you want to achieve in 5 years time?
2.  What do you want to achieve in 1 years time that will draw you closer to your 5 year goal?
3. What will you do in 6 months time to get you your 1 year goal, that will give you, your 5 year goal?
4. What will you do this week to get you closer to your months goal.
5. What will youdo everyday to achieve your weeks goals.
6. Write them down, buy a goal book!
7. measure yourself every sunday, how many daily goals did you achieve? and did you achieve your weeks goal? if yes you began well, if no, try again!

"Failure is another term people use when they want to stop trying"- Elijah Nhlapo



No comments:

Post a Comment